Minneapolis,Minn.(RushPRnews)10/20/08– – The number of long-term unemployed (those jobless for 27 weeks or more) rose by 167,000 in September 2008, to 2.0 million, an increase of 728,000 over the past 12 months, according to the U.S. Labor Department.
And most job seekers will continue to struggle because they fail at the one thing that matters most: marketing themselves, according to recruiter David Perry, author of the book, Guerrilla Marketing for Job Hunters. â€œThe current job market is only going to get worse for most people, because what got them hired just 6 months ago probably wonâ€™t work today,â€ says Perry.
Here are three typical mistakes that people in a job search are making in 2008:
1. networking the traditional way;
2. searching on The Big 3 job sites;
3. reading the newspaper want ads — online or off.
â€œTo get hired quickly in this economy, job seekers must market themselves to employers using direct-marketing methods — the same methods youâ€™ll find in all successful infomercials and sales letters,â€ says Kevin Donlin, Creator of TheSimpleJobSearch.com.
Perry and Donlin have combined to offer a free job-search seminar by phone on Thursday, October 23, 2008 on the most important skill of all in todayâ€™s economy: How to market yourself to employers. Attendance is free, but limited to the first 97 people to sign up at – http://www.gbootcamp.com
Participants will learn five secrets to finding a job in this recession, including:
1. How to generate multiple job offers using the same approach that worked in a city with 65% unemployment — more than 10 times higher than todayâ€™s 6.1% national rate.
2. The networking techniques used by professional recruiters, which let job seekers â€œrecruit themselvesâ€ — these are 100% ethical tactics that rapidly generate job interviews.
3. What recovering drug addicts can teach you about resume writing that dramatically improves results (hint: it increased the success rate for one group of job seekers from 0% to 80%).
â€œWe find job search interest on the rise in the following states: Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Florida, Colorado, Texas, Tennessee, Wisconsin, Alabama and Minnesota. Even people looking for sales and marketing jobs, as well as executive and management jobs, need job search assistance,â€ said Donlin.
David Perry is managing director of executive search firm Perry-Martel International and the author of Guerrilla Marketing for Job Hunters. Kevin Donlin is Creator of TheSimpleJobSearch.com and the author of 51 Ways to Find a Job Fast — Guaranteed. More information at http://www.gbootcamp.com.
Contact: Kevin Donlin