By Ane Howard
HOLLYWOOD,(RushPRnews/Hollywood Today) 02/22/09– Heath Ledger the favorite for a posthumous Oscar winÂ for Best Actor in a Supporting Role for his possessed performance as The Joker in “The Dark Knight”, his final note on the short well-lived score that was his life.
Nevertheless he will face some serious competition.Â Who could forget Robert Downey Jr’s hypnotic performance in â€œTropic Thunderâ€ as an white American actor playing an Australian actor playing a black man,Â so obsessed with academy recognition, that reality becomes completely blurred for the role? And funny to boot.
Michael Shannon seen in â€œRevolutionary Roadâ€is not a household name but should after this Oscars evening. He was brilliant and yes appropriately disturbing as a mental patient who sees thing, god-all-too-clearly and speaks his mind about it.
Philip Seymour Hoffman will be remembered for his subtle, and nuanced performance of a parish priest under suspicion for questionable behaviorÂ in â€œDoubt,â€ but then again, is he ever anything else but brilliant.
Performance by an actor in a supporting role
* Josh Brolin in â€œMilkâ€ (Focus Features)
* Robert Downey Jr. in â€œTropic Thunderâ€ (DreamWorks, Distributed by DreamWorks/Paramount)
* Philip Seymour Hoffman in â€œDoubtâ€ (Miramax)
* Heath Ledger in â€œThe Dark Knightâ€ (Warner Bros.)
* Michael Shannon in â€œRevolutionary Roadâ€ (DreamWorks, Distributed by Paramount Vantage)